Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Life as an Intern at O Mag: Pt1

Life as an intern

As you know, I’ve recently completed my internship at O, The Oprah Magazine as a fashion intern, working with superwoman, fashion extraordinaire and style goddess Robyn Cooke and her assistant the hands on, crafty, wickedly hilarious Luisa Rodrigues. 
In case you missed it, there was a whole drum roll, trumpet and taa daaa.


The Robyn

The Luisa
                              
How it all began…

A few months ago I quit my cushy advertising job in search of that ever illusive ‘ what I want to do with my life. ‘ Project. This may not have been the smartest move considering I didn’t exactly have a new plan and I had just moved to new city. In any case, bad decisions aside, I needed to feel passionate about something, I needed to try something new, I needed to be challenged, I needed to find out what I’m made of in a situation unfamiliar to me and yes, you guessed it, I needed to get out of my comfort zone.

Long story short, seeing as I’m an online fiend; I’d found and fallen in love with Robyn’s blog, and a few months ago had actually emailed her to send my kudos, she’d replied with her thanks and that was that. Literally weeks later Robyn tweeted that she was going through a mountain of C.V.’s and doing interviews to find an intern. A friend encouraged me to send in my details, to which I responded that I couldn’t actually afford not to be paid for 3 months. In the end, I decided that I did need to take the plunge and send Robyn my C.V. and motivation to be her intern and mentee. The interview was great and I was just blown away by what an amazing soul she is. By the end of the week, I was contacted and she offered me the position. The ride was about to begin.

Financially it was difficult, and my bank is not happy with me. Friends helped out where they could and I am forever grateful for their kindness, encouragement and support.

I learnt a lot about fashion, the language and conversation of communication through what we wear, how to war it, how to accentuate your positives and hide the imperfections. Learnt the importance of relationships with designers, stores, fashion pr agencies and the magazine, the creativity of telling a story in still images and problem. There were life lessons and my self confidence had it’s ups and downs. All in all, an incredible experience I would not take back for anything in the world I am a better person for it

Seeing as this is long enough, I’ll separate this intro from the actual meaty bit of life as an intern… Part 2, soon come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails