Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Slutwalk happened

Of the six organisors of the event, I think I was the one who did the least of the actual groundwork, but I know for that Sandi (founder of Slutwalk Joburg), Walter, Sam, Gina and Nadia put in hours and hours, through blood, sweat and tears to make Saturday 24 September a success. To them, I am forever grateful and in awe of their passion and enthusiasm.

The weather was a little nippy, but it certainly helped keep us cool during the walk of protesting rape and victim blaming and shaming, with chants and posters shaking up Rosebank.

I cannot even begin to express how emotional it all was for me. Seeing people, dressed in all sorts - wild as well as conservative - men, women, children - I didn't see any animals. It was fun, it was important, it was camaraderie, it was energetic and I can only hope we made a difference.

Thank you if you came along. Thank you if you talked about the cause, the name, the importance - whether or not it was positive - you helped create dialogue. Thank you.

It was an incredible day. Hopefully next year we'll do it again. Hopefully one day we won't need such protests and men and women and children's bodies will be respected.
Source  - Me and Sandi

These awesome wristbands are only R20, and go towards recoup the almost R30 000 spent by the organisors to make the event happen.
you can email slutwalkjhb@gmail.com to get
Over flow of the proceeds will go to rape related crisis organisations.
Slutwalk Wristband

SUPPORT!

Also, check out www.isaidno.co.za  - portal for victims to become survivors! Share stories anonymously or otherwise. Find information of help centres around the country.

Thank you again to everyone who came out to take a stand against rape becoming our heritage on Heritage Day 2011

A

1 comment:

  1. I'll definintely be there next year but this year I committed to the Sisters With Blisters instead which is happening in November.

    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails