Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Localise This...

A friend and colleague - the beautiful and talented Nkgabiseng - had a little vent moment and drew me a picture which she posted on her blog  www.lanoirlane.blogspot.com 

Part of her frustration is how we - specifically the advertising industry, but not exclusively - try to localise already Eurocentric elements. Yes, this is partly true and I keep asking - where is our African identity? What is our essence? Who are we?

Someone said "You can tell the mindset of a nation by the advertising you see" - What then is South Africa saying about itself?

Here's the picture:
"Anyhow here's my point, I drew this for Akona ( http://www.akmosaic.blogspot.com/ ) simply because she's a constant reminder of African authenticity. That's all."
I love it! Thanks Gabilanoir

1 comment:

  1. I have a deep distaste 4 Insurance ads in Mzantsi; The Mrs Khumalo 1 most especially. They potraying a black woman who is relying on money from a hospital cover. They could never put a white family or any other racial group in that scenerio. I know we blacks are poor, but this is condescending.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails